Ready to begin your USDA loan? Get started now by filling out our form or calling 203-349-9772
What is a USDA home loan?
If you haven’t run across the USDA loan program in your mortgage search yet, you’re not the only one. Not many banks and mortgage companies offer it. Since this program is designed to give the economy a boost in rural areas, it caters to a just a fraction of the U.S. housing market—making it less attractive to a lot of big banks.
Also, its full name is a mouthful: The U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development Guaranteed Housing Loan Program. Basically, that means USDA loans are backed by the Department of Agriculture, creating enhanced benefits for those who qualify.
Advantages of USDA loans
USDA rural home loans are very similar to other loan programs, except for a few key differences.
- No down payment requirement. This is rare these days, and getting rarer. Unless you qualify for a VA loan , this is pretty much your only option for 100% financing.
- No minimum credit score. There is no minimum credit score to qualify; however, your mortgage rate may increase slightly if you have a low credit score.
- Lower mortgage insurance. Rates for USDA mortgage insurance are some of the lowest out there, and the payment is consolidated into your monthly mortgage payment.
There are some other quirks you should know about:
- USDA loans are limited to only 30 year and 15 year fixed rate mortgages.
- The program is for residential property only.
- The maximum loan size available to you will depend on your debt-to-income ratio and credit score.
USDA Home Loan Qualifications
We keep throwing the word “rural” around for a reason—that’s the one major qualifier you have to worry about. Luckily, the USDA isn’t super strict about how it defines the term “rural.” Many small towns and suburban areas may still qualify.
Other requirements include:
- Income limits that vary by geography and other personal factors
- Property must be the borrower’s primary residence
- Basic home safety requirements, which will require an inspection.
Why Use Total Mortgage for Your USDA Loan?
Mortgages are all we do, and we’ve gotten pretty awesome at it.
- We have some of the lowest interest rates in the country, which can save you heaps of cash over the course of your new USDA loan.
- We close new purchase loans in thirty days or less—guaranteed.*
- No pre-payment penalties. Go on, pay your mortgage off as fast as you can. We won’t get cranky about it.
- We’ll educate you as you move through our process. No pushy loan officers, just experienced professionals who want to help you get the financing that makes the most sense for you.
Find out if you qualify for 100% financing with a USDA home loan. Call 203-349-9772 or request a consultation with a USDA mortgage expert today!*terms and conditions apply